Monday, April 1, 2013

WK4-7 12WBT The Harsh Truth

It's been a while since my last blog entry - it's been a very 'full' few weeks. So here's the bare truth of the situation...

When I signed up for Michelle Bridges 12WBT i weighed in at 78 kilos...yep you read that correctly at just 153cm tall, I weighed 78. I am embarrassed to say it out loud and i know i am not alone. However, whilst there have been some ups and down, at week 7 I weighed in at about 73 kilos...it's not much change since week 4, but it's not more and that's a win. I'll take those 5 kilos and gladly kick them to the curb. Whilst I'm a little disappointed it's not more than 6 kilos yet, I am not going to be too harsh on myself and here's why...

1. I am doing IVF - pumping ones self full of hormones has many side effects. 
- Emotionally: I have no control over emotions - i can cry at the drop of a hat, be completely irrational and be down without having a reason - none of which I can control or change. Plus i want to have a baby - and not being able to is the most emotional situation I have ever been in.
 - Physically: During certain points in the process I am under instruction not to do anything that will increase my body temp - this means walking not just workouts. for a period of about 4-5 days I pretty much lay low and try to do nothing. Also, the drugs can make you retain water, feel bloated and without doing anything can completely exhaust you. 

These are genuine medical situations and are not excuses. Here's what I was able to do: I was able to stick to the diet and that is the reason why my weight has not gone up. By maintaining good eating habits I have been able to stick by my goals and wishes for a healthier life.

2. Now splattered into the past few weeks have been some extreme situations. I am back working on MasterChef - I'm just consulting for a couple of months, but I found myself pulling 60hours in 5 days - which normally I could handle but with IVF on top of that I was tired - workouts were put aside, but I was very active during that week and made sure I walked as much as I could.

Working on MasterChef can be directly related to eating of fabulous food. But here's the thing - whilst i did eat out a fair bit, my stomach had shrunk and I only ate small portions. I was so aware of of what I was putting in my mouth, that I when I walked away from meals not feeling stuffed, not having overeaten, I felt so proud of myself.

3. It seems I have a social life after all: all these months I thought my social life was over - but it's not...and part of that has to do with how good I am feeling about myself! My business partner Eamon opened his new restaurant on Thursday and the party was fabulous - I wore a slink dress, had my hair done and I felt a million bucks - it totally helped that I got loads of compliments too! 

Getting dressed up is something I am starting to love again - so is my husband. He's looking AMAZING! He's lost almost 8 kilos, he's riding his bike much more often and even rides with a group of friends on Saturday mornings. He just seems a lot happier too. I am  so proud of him!

So here's the harsh truth of the situation - I haven't lost any weight for the past 2weeks, but i haven't gained any. Circumstances have affected my ability to exercise, but I am monitoring my food. How I eat, exercise and my health are always on my mind. The 12WBT has changed me already - In mind body and spirit!





3 comments:

  1. You are doing amazingly Laki! And really, I think not gaining over the time you have had with IVF and being on Masterchef again is such a great effort. Keep it up!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a brilliant effort- be proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete