Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Week 1 12WBT - It Begins with a Fitness Test

So the Michelle Bridges 12 Week Body Transformation program begins with a fitness test. I put this off for as long as I could because I new this would be ugly!

Like many others, I used to be fit - not just fit, super fit - I was at  WAIS for 4 years as the WA State Cox for the Rowing team - I had to weigh 45kilos... 45KILOS!!!!!! I had no fat on my body, I ate whatever I wanted, I exercised 2,3 times a day and I loved it. 

When I finished my stint at WAIS, I was still extremely active - but then I moved to Sydney, my career started taking off and so did my partying lifestyle - it was all sex, drugs and rock & roll. Smoking, drinking, drugs and general partying kept me skinny for a while but when I left that life behind, I was faced with a new one - one where my metabalism and I were no longer friends.

Suddenly I was one of those people who simply had to look at food to gain weight. It didn't help that I predominantly worked on food and travel shows and pretty much ate my way through my career. 

Somewhere along the way I forgot to importance of exercise. Exercise isn't just about losing weight - it does so much more than that. It can help you mentally, it makes you feel better even if you don't think you look better. 

So that brings me to one Sunday, 2 weeks ago. I geared up. I mentally prepared for the fight ahead. First up the 1km run. I started with a gentle jog - I got about 400metres and thought that perhaps I might just die. I walked for a bit and then ran for a bit. I seriously thought my lungs would explode. I was so glad Andrew was the only person in that park because I looked like a mess - sweating, heavy breathing, uncoordination. But I did it! 

After completeing that run I felt such a huge sense of relief and a determination to do better next time. I did the other tasks - my core strength is better than I thought due to years of pilates and I couldn't do pushups as I had carpel tunnel surgery on my left hand a few weeks before. But I did it and I know that to Michelle Bridges, that's all she wants from us - to do it....the rest will come. So everyday I can hear Mish in my ear saying just do it - every effort counts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment